Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Architect: Darling, Frank

Date of Birth Feb. 1850
Place of Birth Toronto
Date of Death May 1923
Education Pupil of Henry Langley (1866-1870)
Notes Toronto architect. Studied abroad with British (Gothic) architects Sir George Edmund Street and Sir Arthur W. Blomfield. In partnership briefly with Henry Macdougall upon his return to Toronto. SEE ALSO: Darling & Curry; Darling Curry Sproatt & Pearson; Darling & Pearson.

Address: 0 Dunn Avenue
Type of Building: Extended Care Facilities
Name of Building: Toronto Home for Incurables
Notes: Openined in Dec. 1880. The Cameron Wing, Designed by Darling & Curry opened in Jan. 1888. In 1941, the name was changed to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Incurables. The term 'Incurables' was dropped in 1962. Demolished mid-late 1970s and replaced by modern facilties, completed in 1979. Part of the original 1879's central entrance forms the gazebo that is on the current hospital grounds.

Building completed 1879-1880
Altered 1885-1886
Demolished late 1970s

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Lost Toronto : images of the city's past 1993 n/a 172-
Parkdale In Pictures... 1991 n/a 48-49

End of record
Address: 45 Glen Stewart Crescent
Type of Building: Mansions
Name of Building: Glen Stewart
Notes: Home of A.E. Ames. Used as the official residence of Governor General Earl Grey in May 1905 and 1906. Initial address was 625 Kingston Road. For the estate's Coach House / Garage, SEE: 34 Long Crescent.

Building completed c1873

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Beach In Pictures, 1793-1932 1988 n/a 30-32
Canadian Homes and Gardens 1933 Sept. 3
Estates of Old Toronto 1997 n/a 130-1

End of record
Address: 477 Manning Avenue
Type of Building: Churches
Name of Building: St. Mary Magdalene
Notes: Former address was no. 136 Ulser Street.

Foundation started 1888
Building completed 1908

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
In the fullness of time: a history of the church.. 1990 n/a all
Rotunda 1995 Winter 41-42 28 3
Toronto Star 1998 Nov. H16 10th

End of record
Address: 790 Queen Street West
Type of Building: Colleges
Name of Building: Trinity College

Building completed 1851
Demolished 1956

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Iron: Cast and wrought iron in Canada.... 1982 n/a 71
Journal of Canadian Art History 1977 Spring 61-72 4 1
Lost Toronto : images of the city's past 1993 n/a 158-