Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Architect: Behar, Moiz

Not Available

Address: 227 Front Street East
Type of Building: Performing Arts Centres
Name of Building: Joey and Toby Tannenbaum Opera Centre
Notes: A rehersal hall owned by the Canadian Opera Company. One building owned by the COC was originally a factory / warehouse -- part of the Gas Works complex which was built in 1888 by Strickland & Symons. The Opera Centre also includes three buildings immediately adjacent to the Gas Works Building which used to be the Standard Wollen Knitting Mills.

Building completed 1988
Altered c1983

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Cabbagetown remembered 1984 n/a 83-84
Contract Magazine 1987 Jan/Feb 58-61 6 1
Houses of old Toronto 1977 n/a 86-89
Toronto Star 2000 Dec. K4-5 Sat. 2nd