Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Architect: Lett / Smith Architects, (firm)

Notes William Lett and Peter Smith. Formed 1973.

Address: 57 Adelaide Street East
Type of Building: Courthouses
Name of Building: York County Courthouse
Notes: Central portion of the courthouse is no.57 Adelaide Street West. The flanking west and east administrative wings occupied street nos. 55 and 65 repesctively. The west wing was altered by E.J. Lennox c1890-95 for the Consumers Gas Company of Canada, who purchased it and connected it to their premises on Toronto Street.

Building completed 1851-1853
Altered 1979 - Reno

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Beaux-arts Toronto 1973 n/a 6
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 154+
Toronto Star 1994 July A7 Mon. 4th
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 128

End of record
Address: 0 Gerrard Street East
Intersection: Church Street
Type of Building: Physical Education Buildings
Name of Building: Ryerson Athletic Facilities
Notes: Built underground in order to preserve the green space on the campus. Adjacent to Kerr Hall".

Building completed c1988

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Canadian Architect 1990 Aug. 6 35 9
Canadian Architect 1989 Feb. 28-32 34 2

End of record
Address: 300 King Street West
Type of Building: Theatres
Name of Building: Princess of Wales Theatre

Officially opened May 1993

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Architectural Record 1993 Sept. 96-
Art in America 1994 July 37
Canadian Architect 1993 August 17-22
Insite 1993 Sept. 53-56
Marquee 1994 n/a 3-28 26 1
Monuments for the performing arts... 1994 n/a 123ff
Toronto Life 1993 May 50-58 27
Toronto Star 2002 April D5 Mon 15th

End of record
Address: 701 Pape Avenue
Type of Building: Libraries
Name of Building: Pape / Danforth Library

Building completed 1929
Altered 1978

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Canadian Interiors 1982 May/Jun 43-47 17 5
Historical Walking Tour of the Danforth 1992 n/a 30
Historical Walking Tour of the Danforth 1992 n/a 30
Review of Architecture and Landscape Architecture 1980 n/a n/a 3

End of record
Address: 231 Queens Quay West
Type of Building: Performing Arts Centres
Name of Building: DuMaurrier Theatre
Notes: Complex was intially called the Harbourfront Arts Centre. "Part of Toronto's Harbourfront redevelopment, the complex consists of two buildings linked by a common lobby. The theatre, on the complex's north side, was built in 1926 as an ice house to serve the adjacent Toronto Terminal Warehouse (now Queens Quay Terminal) while to the south, the art gallery building [The Power Plant] , also built in 1926, housed the Terminal's heating and refrigeration equipment and was in operation until 1980. Renovations began in 1985 and were completed in 1987. (Cdn. Archt., March 1988, p.20)

Building completed 1926
Altered 1985-1987

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Canadian Architect 1988 March 20-27