Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Architect: Ewart, John

Notes Scottish architect and one of the earliest architects to practice in Toronto (1820s and 1830s).

Address: 0 Front Street West
Type of Building: Legislative Buildings
Name of Building: Provincial Parliament Buildings (3rd)
Notes: Occupied the area known as Simcoe Place, a parcel of land bounded by Front, John, Simcoe and Wellington Streets.

Building completed 1829-1832
Altered 1849-inter.
Demolished 1903

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
A Street Called Front 1983 n/a 6-7
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 185+
From Front Street to Queen's Park... 1979 n/a 39++
Lost Toronto : images of the city's past 1993 n/a 52-55
Palaces of Government (The) 1993 n/a many

End of record
Address: 0 Jarvis Street
Intersection: Shuter Street
Type of Building: Houses
Name of Building: Hazelburn
Notes: Home of Samuel Peters Jarvis. Demolished in 1847 to make way for the completion of the new Jarvis Street that was laid out from Queen Street to Bloor Street by Toronto architect John G. Howard (Toronto Reference Library houses the John G. Howard manuscripts).

Building completed 1824
Demolished 1847

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Estates of Old Toronto 1997 n/a 54-55
Jarvis Street : a story of triumph and tragedy 1980 n/a 87

End of record
Address: 132 Queen Street West
Type of Building: Courthouses
Name of Building: Osgoode Hall
Notes: Address sometimes given as # 116-138 Queen Street W.. Built as the headquarters of the Law Society of Upper Canada and has had a lengthy building history. The following is a summary taken from Patrica McHugh's TORONTO ARCHITECTURE : A CITY GUIDE (1985): EAST WING - John Ewart (1829-1832); altered by Henry Bower Lane (1844). Law school addition by William G. Storm (1880, 1890). Interior altered by Burke & Horwood (1899); and altered again by Vaux and Bryan Chadwick (1925); rear additions (1937, 1958). CENTRE BLOCK by Henry Bower Lane (1844); rebuilt by Cumberland & Storm (1856-1861); rear additions (1910, 1923). WEST WING by Henry Bower Lane (1844); additions by Kivas Tully (1883); interioir altered by Burke & Horwood (1897); rear addition (1910); renovated and rear addition by Page & Steele (1972-1973). FENCE AND GATES by William G. Storm (1866)

Foundation started 1829

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Bulletin / Soc. for the Study of Arch. in Canada 1985 Dec. 14-18 10 4
Bulletin / Soc. for the Study of Arch. in Canada 1988 Dec. 9-16 13 4
Canadian Interiors 1982 April 35 19 4
City: the Toronto Star Sunday Magazine 1980 March 14-19 4 23rd
Early Buildings of Ontario 1938 n/a 17
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 160+
Globe & Mail 2002 May A20 Tues 21st
Iron: Cast and wrought iron in Canada.... 1982 n/a 70-71
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1959 July 250-2 36 7
Looking at Architecture in Canada 1958 n/a 76
Palladian Style in Canadian Architecture 1984 n/a 92
Romanesque Head Office of Confederation Life Assn. 1997 n/a 9
Toronto Architect Edmund Burke 1995 n/a 80-82
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 14