Architectural Index for Ontario


Information on Architect: Gordon, H.B.


Biography
Not Available


Address: 75 Church Street
Intersection: Adelaide Street East
Type of Building: High Schools
Name of Building: Mechanics Institute
Notes: Had a variety of uses. Housed the Post Office + the Crown Lands departments from 1855-1869. The building was altered in 1877 by H.B. Gordon, and converted by Mark Hall in 1883 for use as Toronto's main public library. It opened in March 1884 and was used until the Reference Library was opened at 214 College Street in 1906. Until 1927-28, the library maintained a branch in the building. In 1930, it was re-opened as the Employement Services of Canada, and the following year it was taken over by the Department of Public Welfare, which remained there until 1948-1949, when it was demolished and replaced by a service station parking lot.

Dates
Cornerstone laid Apr 17 1854
Building completed 1853-1861
Demolished 1949

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 168+
Lost Toronto : images of the city's past 1993 n/a 136-
Parish and Cathedral of St. James' 1998 n/a 61