Architectural Index for Ontario


Information on Architect: Sproatt & Rolph, (firm)


Biography
Notes Henry Sproat (1866-1934) + Ernest Ross Rolph (1871-1958) Partnership lasted from 1899 to 1934. "Well-known team responsble for many distinguished Late Gothic Revival institutional structures as well as small office buildings of the late 1920s and early 1930s. Henry Sproatt's son Charles continued firm into 1960s" . Patrica McHugh, Toronto Architecture: A City Guide, 1985.


Address: 109 Bay Street
Type of Building: UNKNOWN
Name of Building: National Club


Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Ontario Association of Architects. Proceedings 1910 X 104-1 10

End of record
Address: 320 Bay Street
Type of Building: Office Buildings
Name of Building: Canada Permanent Building
Notes: Architects vary in some sources.

Dates
Building completed c1928

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Beaux-arts Toronto 1973 n/a 19-20
Natural cut stone for fine buildings 195? n/a unpgd
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 66
Year-Book 1933 n/a pl.94

End of record
Address: 152 Beverley Street
Type of Building: Houses
Name of Building: Devon House
Notes: Originally the home of John Cawthra. Street address was originally no. 130 Beverley Street, then changed to no.150 Beverley Street in 1890, and then changed to no. 152 Beverley Street c. 1962.

Dates
Building completed 1874
Altered 1920; 1985

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Toronto, 100 years of grandeur 1978 n/a 205+

End of record
Address: 100 Bloor Street East
Type of Building: Office Buildings
Name of Building: Manufacturer's Life Building
Notes: Part of complex consisting of: Original building at 100 Bloor Street East by Sproat & Rolph (1924-26) with additions by Marani & Morris (1953). North Tower by Clifford Lawrie Bolton Ritchie 91983) and 250 Bloor Street East by Marani Rounthwaite & Dick, 1968.

Dates
Design conceived c. 1924

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Canadian Homes and Gardens 1927 Jan. 61 4
City & Country Home 1991 Aug. 12-15
Construction 1934 Oct./No 129 27
Construction 1926 June 172+ 19
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1924 Feb. 218 38 27th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1924 March 223 38 5th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1924 May 537 + 38 28th
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 Nov. 393 4 11

End of record
Address: 51 Bond Street
Type of Building: Parsonages
Name of Building: Metropolitan United Church P.
Notes: Metropolitan United Church Parsonage.

Dates
Building completed c1906

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Canadian Architect & Builder 1908 April 12-13 22 n/a

End of record
Address: 89 Charles Street West
Type of Building: Dormitories
Name of Building: Burwash Hall

Dates
Building completed 1909-1912
Altered 1930

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Natural cut stone for fine buildings 195? n/a unpgd
Toronto Star 1978 Aug ? 12th

End of record
Address: 65 Church Street
Intersection: King Street East
Type of Building: Churches
Name of Building: St. James Cathedral no.4
Notes: Present church is the FOURTH church (all names for St. James) to stand on the site. The first Church existed from 1807 to 1833. The second church (by Thomas Rogers) burnt down in 1839. The third St. James (designed by architect Thomas Young) burnt down on April 7, 1849. Plans for another church were made shortly thereafter. William Storm and Henry Langley designed the tower, spire and pinnacles that were added 1867-1874. Sir Casimir Gzowski designed the brick and sandstone wall with cast-iron ornament, lamps and entrance gates. Most of these were torn down in 1960.

Dates
Unknown significance 1849-1850
Competition 1849
Cornerstone laid 20 Nov 1850
Building completed 1853
Altered 1867-74spir

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Construction 1927 June 174+ 20
Construction 1931 April 132+ 24
Eye Weekly 2001 Nov. 15 22nd
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 124+
Globe & Mail 1997 Aug. C2 13th
Globe & Mail 2001 Feb. A18 Tues 27th
Globe & Mail 1997 June C23 Sat. 7th
Globe & Mail 2001 Jan. R1,R4 Wee. 31st
Globe & Mail 2001 Jan. A1+ Fri. 19th
Globe & Mail 2001 July A17 13th
Globe & Mail 2001 Nov. A18 Sat. 5th
Globe & Mail 1997 Nov. C19 Sat. 15th
Globe & Mail 2001 Jan. ? Tues 16th
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 Nov. 399 4 11
National Post 2001 Feb. N1+ Sat. 24th
National Post 2001 Feb. A16 Mon. 5th
National Post 2001 March F1,F3 Sat 10th
Parish and Cathedral of St. James' 1998 n/a all
Rotunda 1992 Spr. 27-33 24 7
Toronto Life 2001 Dec. 100++
Toronto Star 2001 March F3 Sun 11th
Toronto Star 2002 April B2 Mon 29th
Toronto Star 2001 April B2 25th
Toronto Star 2001 July B1,B4 13th
Toronto Star 2001 Mar. F3 Sun. 1th
Toronto Star 2001 Jan. B2 17th
Toronto Star 2001 Feb. B5 19th
Toronto Star 2001 Feb. A1+ Mon. 5th
Toronto Star 200 Aug. M2 Sat. 5th
Toronto Star 1999 May B2 11th
Toronto Star 1973 Dec ? 17th
Toronto Star 2001 July B2 Mon 23rd
Toronto Star 1983 Oct ? 17th
Toronto Star 1973 Sept ? 2nd
William Thomas, Architect 1799-1860 1996 n/a 46-47

End of record
Address: 65 Church Street
Type of Building: Memorials
Name of Building: St. James Cathedral - Memorial Cross
Notes: Erected in 1924 to honour the 48 parishioners who died in the First World War.

Dates
Building completed 1924

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Construction 1927 April 117 20
Parish and Cathedral of St. James' 1998 n/a 107+

End of record
Address: 146 Crescent Road
Type of Building: Mansions
Name of Building: Baillie House
Notes: Originally the home of Sir Frank Baillie. Sold by his widow after his death in 1920. Became the home of the Rosedale-Moore Park Community Association in the 1940s.

Dates
Building completed 1902-1903

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Globe & Mail 1908 Oct. 5 sat. 24th

End of record
Address: 14 Elm Street
Type of Building: Clubhouses
Name of Building: Arts & Letters Club
Notes: Originally St. George's Hall, (Edwards & Webster, 1891). Interior remodelled in 1920 by Sproatt & Rolph.

Dates
Building completed 1891

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
ACORN 1987 Spring n/a 12 1
Fuse 1986 Fall 10-24
Newsletter / Architectural Conservancy of Toronto 1987 Jan. 7 n/a

End of record
Address: 100 Front Street West
Type of Building: Hotels
Name of Building: Royal York Hotel
Notes: Built on the site of the former Queen's Hotel, then Sword's Hotel.

Dates
Building completed 1929

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Architectural Forum 1929 Dec. 609- 51
Architecture, Batiment, Construction 1958 Mar. 72 13
Bulletin / Soc. for the Study of Arch. in Canada 1997 June 45 22 2
Canadian Architect 1963 March 26 8
Canadian Architect 1960 Nov. 65 5
Canadian Architect 1965 April 30 10
Canadian Architect 1960 March 107 5
Canadian Architect 1956 April 64 1
Canadian Buildings / by Anglin Norcross 1930 n/a unpgd
Canadian Geographical Journal 1931 May 341 11
Canadian Homes and Gardens 1930 Nov. 79 7
Canadian Homes and Gardens 1929 Feb 12 6
Canadian Interiors 1966 Dec. 46-47 3
City: the Toronto Star Sunday Magazine 1979 June 14++ 17th
Construction 1929 July 208- 22
Construction 1931 July 236-2 24
Construction 1927 April 135 20
Construction 1928 March 93-94 21
Construction 1927 June 185 20
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 July 721 42 4th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1927 July 692-6 41 13th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1927 May 489 41 18th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1930 Jan. 64 44 29th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 April 71 42 18th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1927 Feb. 143 41 9th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1930 Feb. 158 44 12th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1929 Sept. 90 43 25th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1929 Aug. 980 43 21st
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 June 26 42 2nd
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1930 May 67 44 21st
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1929 June 653-7 43 12th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Dec. 1327 42 26th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1929 June 716- 43 19th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1929 March 331- 43 27th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Aug. 94 42 22nd
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 July 63 42 25th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Aug. 917 42 22nd
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Dec. 1343 42 26th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Aug. 53 42 29th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Feb. 250 42 29th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Oct. 52 42 17th
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1927 Sept. 985 41 21st
Contract Record and Engineering Review 1928 Nov. 57 42 28th
Globe & Mail 2000 Nov. T9 Sat. 11th
Heritage 2001 Sum. 4-9 4 3
Interiors 1960 May 100+
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1929 Aug. 246- 7 8
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1930 ? 452 7 12
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1928 June 194 5 6
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1930 ? 28 7 2
Report on Business Magazine 2001 Sept 49
Royal York Hotel, Toronto, Ont. ? n/a all
Royal York, Toronto, Canada 1959 n/a all
Toronto Places 1992 n/a 98- n/a n/a
Toronto Star 1991 July C1 30th
Toronto Sun 2002 June 47 Sun 16th

End of record
Address: 7 Hart House Circle
Type of Building: Clubhouses
Name of Building: Hart House

Dates
Building completed 1919

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Annex Gleaner 2000 June 1,5
Building for Beauty 194? n/a 2
Hart House, University of Toronto 1921 n/a all
National Post 2001 Jan. A23 Wed. 24th
University of Toronto Magazine 2001 Sprimg 42-43

End of record
Address: 7 Hart House Circle
Type of Building: Memorials
Name of Building: Soldiers' Memorial Tower
Notes: Situated between University College and Hart House. It was added to Hart House to commemorate students and alumni who lost their lives in World War I (and later World War II).

Dates
Building completed 1924

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Rotunda 1992 Spr. 27-33 24 7
Toronto Places 1992 n/a 86-87
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 98

End of record
Address: 9 Jackes Avenue
Type of Building: Architect-designed houses
Name of Building: Ernest Rolph House
Notes: Originally the home of architect Ernest R. Rolph of the firm Sproatt & Rolph. Now the Headquarters of Scouts Canada.

Dates
Building completed 1910

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Historical Walking Tour of Deer Park 1996 n/a 25-26

End of record
Address: 35 Jackes Avenue
Type of Building: Houses
Name of Building: Robert Laidlaw House
Notes: Now Frontier College

Dates
Building completed 1914

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Historical Walking Tour of Deer Park 1996 n/a 26

End of record
Address: 51 King Street West
Intersection: Bay Street
Type of Building: Banks
Name of Building: Union Bank
Notes: Occupied street nos.51-53 King Street West. Terra cotta facade was replaced with limestone when Sproat & Rolph expanded the building c1934. Building was known as the Imperial Bank of Canada when it was demolished c.mid 1960s in order to make way for I.M. Pei's Commerce Court tower.

Dates
Building completed c1911
Altered 1934-facade

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Terra Cotta artful deceivers 1990 n/a 126-7

End of record
Address: 298 Lonsdale Road
Type of Building: High Schools
Name of Building: Bishop Strachan School

Dates
Site acquired 1910

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Bishop Strachan School Magazine & Bulletin 1942 n/a ?
Construction 1926 May 138++ 19
Construction 1925 March 70 19
Construction 1916 Aug. 261-6 9
Construction 1934 Oct. 129 27
Contract Record. -- 1913 July 69 27 10th
Contract Record. -- 1916 Jan. 50-53 30 19th
Contract Record. -- 1910 July 27 24 6th
Contract Record. -- 1912 Aug. 71 26 28th
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 Feb. 59-72 4 2
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 April 143 4 4
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 Feb. 59++ 4 2
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 April 137-4 4 4
Journal / Royal Architectural Institute of Canada 1927 April 129 4 4

End of record
Address: 60 Murray Street
Type of Building: Office Buildings
Name of Building: Ontario Hydro Engineering Bldg

Dates
Building completed 1955

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Newsletter / Architectural Conservancy of Toronto 1989 Sept. 19

End of record
Address: 0 Toronto Island(s)
Type of Building: Clubhouses
Name of Building: Royal Canadian Yacht Club


Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Exhibition of the Toronto Society of Architects 1905 n/a 59
Toronto Star 2002 May B2 Fri 17th

End of record
Address: 330 University Avenue
Type of Building: Corporate Headquarters
Name of Building: Canada Life Assurance Bldg.
Notes: 10-metre weather spire was built in 1951 and requires 1,007 lightbulbs. GREEN LIGHT at the tip of the beacon signals clear skies ahead. RED LIGHT suggests appraoching clouds. FLASHING RED warns of rain. When the rows of white lights flash in an ascending pattern, the temperature is expected to rise. A downward pattern predicts the opposite. When the beacon disappears completely, it's foggy!

Dates
Foundation started 1929
Restored 1994-1997

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Metropolitan Toronto Business Journal 1987 Feb. 48
Natural cut stone for fine buildings 195? n/a unpgd
Perspectives: Newsletter of the Ontario Assn of Ar 1997 Winter 23 5 4
Toronto Star 2002 May B4 Thur 2nd
Toronto Star 2001 July B2 2nd

End of record
Address: 481 University Avenue
Type of Building: Office Buildings
Name of Building: Maclean Hunter Building
Notes: Became the offices of publisher McClelland & Stewart c1977?. Addition by Marani & Morris from 1961. Post-modern fa├žade addition by William Strong Associates, 1984.

Dates
Building completed 1911
Altered 1961; 1984

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Architecture and Design 1959 Aug. ? 23
Toronto Star 1987 Feb ? 21st
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 38

End of record
Address: 620 University Avenue
Type of Building: Office Buildings
Name of Building: Ontario Hydro Building
Notes: Became part of the Princess Margaret Hospital and Ontario Cancer Institute in 1995.

Dates
Foundation started 1935
Altered 1945

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Globe & Mail 1992 Oct C1 Wed 28th
Newsletter / Architectural Conservancy of Toronto 1989 Sept. 14-20
Toronto Star 1990 June H3 9th
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 91

End of record
Address: 19 Wychwood Park
Type of Building: Architect-designed houses
Notes: Originally the home of Dr. C.T. Currelly.

Dates
Building completed 1911

Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Joy of Wychwood : an exhibition of art... 1988 n/a 21