Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Building Name: Joey and Toby Tannenbaum Opera Centre

Address: 227 Front Street East
Type of Building: Performing Arts Centres
Name of Building: Joey and Toby Tannenbaum Opera Centre
Notes: A rehersal hall owned by the Canadian Opera Company. One building owned by the COC was originally a factory / warehouse -- part of the Gas Works complex which was built in 1888 by Strickland & Symons. The Opera Centre also includes three buildings immediately adjacent to the Gas Works Building which used to be the Standard Wollen Knitting Mills.

Building completed 1988
Altered c1983

Architects: Arcorp Associates (firm)
Behar Moiz
Lennox Edward
Strickland & Symonds (firm)
Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Cabbagetown remembered 1984 n/a 83-84
Contract Magazine 1987 Jan/Feb 58-61 6 1
Houses of old Toronto 1977 n/a 86-89
Toronto Star 2000 Dec. K4-5 Sat. 2nd