Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Building Name: Queen St. Mental Health Ctr.

Address: 999 Queen Street West
Type of Building: Mental Health Facilities
Name of Building: Queen St. Mental Health Ctr.
Notes: Initially called the Provincial Lunatic Asylum. First, main block by John Howard (1844-1858). Wings added by Kivas Tully (c.1866-1869). Fred Cumberland designed several outbuildings. Name changed to the Queen Street Mental Health Centre in the 1950s. The street address was changed to no. 1001 Queen Street West in the late 1970s.

Design conceived 1840
Foundation started 1844
Building completed 1858
Officially opened 1850
Altered various
Demolished 1975-1976

Architects: Cumberland Frederic
Howard John
Sommerville McMurrich & Oxley (firm)
Tully Kivas
Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Bulletin / Soc. for the Study of Arch. in Canada 1986 Sept. 4 11 3
Canadian Architect 1975 Sept. 32-40 20 9
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 256
Globe & Mail 1975 Dec. ? 2nd
Lost Toronto : images of the city's past 1993 n/a 164-
National Post 2001 Jan. B4 Wed. 10th
Section A 1985 n/a 7 3 2
Toronto Life 1999 Dec. 104-5 33 17