Architectural Index for Ontario


Information on Building Name: Central Prison + Chapel

Address: 0 Strachan Avenue
Type of Building: Jails
Name of Building: Central Prison + Chapel
Notes: Built to ease the overcrowding of the Don Jail. Used as a Canadian Army barrack during World War One. The main buildings were sold and demolished in 1920. Only the Chapel (which was attached to the south wing in 1877) survives. Chapel being converted into a Café.

Dates
Building completed 1873
Demolished 1920s

Architects: Tully Kivas
Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Metro 2000 July 10 Tues 11th
Toronto Star 2001 Oct. P8 Sat. 20th