Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Building Name: Don Jail

Address: 550 Gerrard Street East
Type of Building: Jails
Name of Building: Don Jail
Notes: Known earlier as the Toronto Jail. Built in 1858, but re-built in 1865 after a fire. Will be restored and become part of the Riverdale Hospital. The red-brick Toronto Jail, on the north side of the property, was built in the 1950s, and will be demolished to make way for a long-term care building.

Building completed 1857-1864

Architects: Thomas William
Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Cabbagetown remembered 1984 n/a 94-96
Cabbagetown: The Story of... 1998 n/a 40-41
Globe & Mail 2001 July A23 12th
Globe & Mail 2002 Jan. A19 Thur 31st
National Post 2001 July A23 Thur 12th
Toronto Star 1989 June E1 Sat 10th
Toronto Star 2000 March A2 25th
Toronto Star 1998 Oct. B2 19th
Toronto Star 2001 Dec. B2 17th
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 13 n/a
William Thomas, Architect 1799-1860 1996 n/a 115ff