Architectural Index for Ontario

Information on Building Name: Normal and Model Schools

Address: 0 Gould Street
Type of Building: High Schools
Name of Building: Normal and Model Schools
Notes: Original location was known as St. James Square, a block bounded by Gould, Victoria, Gerrard and Church. It was one of downtown Toronto's few planned open spaces. The Normal School (Cumberland & Ridout 1850-1852) was the building devoted to teacher training and was the central part of the site. Behind that were two bilaterally symmetrical Model (Grammar) Schools (Cumberland & Storm 1857-1858) (one for girls, one for boys), that were linked to the Normal School by a corridor leading from the auditorium. The Normal School was demolished in 1963 (except for part of the main portico). The Model Grammar School, which opened in 1858, closed only five years later, and it is not known exactly when it was demolished. SEE: Geoffrey Simmins' "Fred Cumberland...", 1997.

Building completed 1850-2 (C&R
Altered 1857-8 (C&S
Demolished 1963

Architects: Cumberland & Ridout (firm)
Cumberland & Storm (firm)
Journal or book Year Month Page Vol. No.
Bulletin / Soc. for the Study of Arch. in Canada 1984 Oct. 10-12 9 3
Bulletin / Soc. for the Study of Arch. in Canada 1986 Sept. 4-5 11 3
Canadian Architect 1964 March 70
City: the Toronto Star Sunday Magazine 1979 Dec 14+ 8th
Fred Cumberland : Building the Victorian Dream 1997 n/a 78-91
Iron: Cast and wrought iron in Canada.... 1982 n/a 173
Journal of Garden History 1985 Jul/Sep 298+ 5 3
Lost Toronto : images of the city's past 1993 n/a 150-
Toronto Normal School, 1847-1947 1947 n/a all
Toronto Star 1976 Feb. ? 7th
Toronto, Carved in Stone 1984 n/a 119